Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The experience of Jr. High Ministry


If you know anything, the beginning is usually the hardest because you won't know where to start. Like the older wolf on the right, I've been in the same spot when it comes to kids at our church. I love them to death, but as the wolf shows, you have to have patience.

That's a key word right there. Remember this because 40 of these kids in one room can really put some pressure on you.

Starting off wasn't easy. Actually, it was very difficult. Imagine walking into a room with about 40 pre-teens running around frolicking with one another. Chaos was expected as you talked with the kids, and sometimes you had to take a few aside to personally speak to them about their behavior. Even while it was hard, I knew it was going to be worth it one day soon.

Today things have changed a bit. They're better at listening and they've learned to respect their leaders (for the most part). But I don't have a lot of complaints. I actually enjoy it.

Now I'm frequently running about while thinking about the kids and wondering what we can do for them at a personal level. Most of it are just thoughts, but I hope to turn it into action. I spend time with some of them, because getting to know them has actually turned out to be fun, and I like seeing them grow. It's one of the most joyful aspects of this ministry. Teaching is also fun. I enjoy it even more when it's a one-on-one opportunity for me to teach. It's sounds so cheesy but it's a real joy when these kids actually learn things, I love it.

The other leaders have been a big help for me as well. When things got really hard, they encouraged me. When things went well, they still encouraged me. No matter how good or bad things went, they never ceased to encourage me, and I am totally thankful for all of it. It's been said, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." ~Hebrews 10:24-25

If you know anybody in Ministry, please encourage them. From what I've learned, Ministry is one of the hardest things to do because it can really drain you! Keep the encouragement flowing because it really helps us out, I assure you!

Here's a tip: You've got to let these kids know that you care about them. If one kid really likes Pokemon, then talk about Pokemon with them. "Really? What's your favorite Pokemon?", "Why do you like it?", "Do you still play the games?", "Do you collect the cards? How many do you have?" You'll probably hate Pokemon, but if you get excited about what they're excited about, then they'll connect with you at a much easier level. It's not deceitful, it's actually a way of showing love. Your willing to put yourself aside for their sakes. Your willing to sacrifice yourself for them in a small way. Even if they don't realize that whole concept at first, they will at least begin to know that you really care about them.

The most important thing I've learned is this: I fail to do the best when I am not in Christ. Jesus said to his disciples, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." He makes it painfully clear that if your not in Him, then your work will not produce the right results for what ever your doing. Now from what I understand, He's speaking in terms of spiritual results, not financial results. So don't start thinking that if your with Jesus, you'll be financially secure.

All in all, there's a lot I'm still learning, and I enjoy going there when I can. It's not always easy for me, but it's not hard for God to give me the strength I really need to carry on through. I've come to realize that Ministry probably isn't just a job that I do on the side... Ministry is probably going to be my lifestyle. That's something that I don't mind at all. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment